This 'web version' uses Optical Character Recognition (OCR), to interpret the original printed copy and convert it to computer-readable text. This technology can result in text errors.
The great Peace Conference was opened in Paris on January 18, the forty-eighth anniversary of the foundation of the German Empire in the Galerie des Glaces at Versailles in 1871. The first meeting of the Peace Conference was held in the Clock Room at the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It began at 3 p.m. with the arrival of President Poincare, during whose eloquent inaugural address the whole assembly of delegates remained standing. After M. Poincare had left, M. Clemenceau was unanimmously elected as permanent chairman
of the Conference, on the motion of President Wilson, seconded by Mr. Lloyd Leorjc. Our upper photograph shows President Wilson, followed by Mr. Lansing, United States Secretary of State, leaving M. Pichon’s room at the Foreign Ministry. In the lower photograph may be seen, in the background to the right of the mantelpiece, Mr. Balfour, Mr. Bonar Law, and Mr. Barnes. Mr. Bonar Law, it may be recalled, travelled to Paris by aeroplane.
- 48.8628550, 2.3173620